Announcing The Stella Prize
The Stella Prize is delighted to announce the 2015 Stella Prize longlist. From more than 150 entries, this year's Stella Prize judges – critic and writer Kerryn Goldsworthy (chair); journalist and broadcaster Caroline Baum; writer and lecturer Tony Birch; singer–songwriter Sarah Blasko; and acclaimed author Melissa Lucashenko – have selected twelve great books by Australian women.
The 2015 Stella Prize longlist:
• Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke
• The Strays by Emily Bitto
• Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey
• This House of Grief by Helen Garner
• Golden Boys by Sonya Hartnett
• The Invisible History of the Human Race by Christine Kenneally
• The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna
• The Golden Age by Joan London
• Laurinda by Alice Pung
• Nest by Inga Simpson
• Heat and Light by Ellen van Neerven
• In My Mother's Hands by Biff Ward
Chair of the Stella Prize judging panel, Kerryn Goldsworthy, says of the longlist: "For the third year in a row, the longlist for the Stella Prize reveals the wealth of talent and skill across a broad spectrum of authors, genres and styles in Australian women's writing. Of the twelve writers whose work appears on the longlist for 2015, almost half a century separates the youngest from the oldest.'"
The judges have a difficult task ahead of them, as they narrow down this outstanding longlist to a shortlist by Thursday 12 March 2015.